fbpx
Connect with us

DogLane

Grapes and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

Dog Health

Grapes and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

Grapes and Raisins (Dried Grapes) can be Dangerously Toxic for a Dog. The Exact ingredient that causes toxicity is still unknown but even a small amount of grapes or raisin can prove fatal for your doggo.

Complications of Grapes poisoning includes Kidney Damage which often results in Sudden Kidney failure and Lack of Urination.

The degree of complication varies from dogs to dogs.

 

Symptoms of Grapes and Raisin Poisoning

Symptoms appear within 2-4 hours of ingesting Grapes or Raisins.

Some of the Common symptoms of Grapes and Raisin Poisoning are listed below.

 

1. Vomiting and/or diarrhea – often within a few hours of ingestion. Vomit and poop may contain pieces of grapes or raisin.

2. Loss of appetite

3. Your Doggo may become unusually quiet and feel week

4. Stomach ache

5. Dehydration

6. Difficulty in Passing Urine & may pass Urine in small amounts

7. Complete Lack of Urination

8. Bad breath

9. Mouth ulcers

10. Tremors

11. Seizures

12. Coma

 

Causes of Grapes and Raisin Poisoning

The Exact cause is still unknown. Even a small amount is Fatal for some dogs while other dogs can eat a large quantity before developing any symptoms.

 

Immediate At-home Treatment for Grapes or Raisin Poisoning

If you have seen your doggo eating raisins or grapes within 2 hours, act quick. You need to induce vomiting ASAP before the toxins of the fruit get absorbed in the body.

However, do not try to induce vomiting if your doggo is showing any of the below symptoms:

  1. Unconscious
  2. Showing signs of troubled breathing
  3. Showing signs of stress or shock
  4. if you are unsure of what he has eaten

In any such case, call your local vet immediately. Your dog may require emergency treatment to save his life.

 

How to Induce Vomiting at Home

If Your dog is not showing any of the above symptoms, you need to induce vomiting as soon as possible to get the grapes or raisin out of his system.

Take 1 milliliter (ml) of 3% hydrogen peroxide per pound of the dog’s weight.  You can either use a syringe (no needle) or teaspoon to give him the solution. This should make your dog vomit.

Note: Do NOT Give more than 45 Ml of Hydrogen Peroxide in one session.

If your dog doesn’t vomit within 20 minutes, you can repeat the session again with the same amount after an interval of 15 minutes.

If your dog still doesn’t Vomit. Don’t give him any more dose of Hydrogen Peroxide.

Contact Your Vet for immediate assistance.

 

Treatment for Grapes or Raisin Poisoning

Unfortunately, there is no Antidote available for Grapes and Raisin Poisoning.

A vet can only help your dog if he has ingested grapes or raisin within 2-3 hours. The Vet will start by inducing vomiting followed by administration of activated charcoal to absorb the remaining toxins.

The Vet may further perform an intravenous fluid therapy to flush the toxins out of the bloodstream and to support kidneys.

However, in an event of Kidney Failure, your dog will require Hemodialysis for his entire life or till the time of kidney recovery (if possible).

A kidney transplant can work for some dog owners but euthanasia may be the only viable option if a dog’s kidneys have become totally dysfunctional.

 

How to Prevent Grapes and Raisin Poisoning

There is no Antidote available hence Prevention is the only cure. Keep Grapes and Raisins out of the Reach of your Doggo, especially puppies as they tend to ingest everything which they can put in their mouth.

Make sure all your Family members are Fully aware of the Grapes and Raisin Toxicity as well as the Toxic capacity of other Foods including but not limited to Chocolates, Garlic, Onions etc.

 

If you have noticed that your dog has ingested grapes or raisin, act fast as it may be the only way for your dog’s survival.

Share With Your Friends Hoomaan!

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
You may also like...

We Love Dogs as much as You do!

More in Dog Health

Advertisement

JOIN THE PACK

Subscribe to Our Mailing List and Receive Insider Tips, Special Offers & More!

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

What Others Are Reading!

Advertisement
To Top