fbpx
Connect with us

DogLane

Dog Chocolate Poisoning – Chocolate is Bad For Your Dog!

Dog Chocolate Poisoning - Chocolate is Bad For Your Dog

Dog Health

Dog Chocolate Poisoning – Chocolate is Bad For Your Dog!

Chocolate is Poisonous for Your Doggo.

However, the ill-effect of Chocolate depends on the type of chocolate, the amount consumed, the age and the Size of your Dog.

If consumed in a large amount, the chocolate and other cocoa products can be Life-threatening for Your Dog.

 

Why is Chocolate Harmful For Dogs?

Chocolate is made from the roasted seeds of Cacao which contain caffeine and theobromine, these ingredients are toxic to animals.

If ingested in a large amount, these ingredients can cause severe complications and even prove fatal for your Furry Friend.

 

What Are the Symptoms of Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs?

Some Common but Visible symptoms of Chocolate poisoning are:

1. Vomiting

2. Diarrhea

3. Fever or Increased Body Temperature

4. Increased reflex responses

5. Rigid Muscles

6. Abnormal Rapid breathing

7. Increased heartbeat

8. Low blood pressure

9. Seizures and Tremors

 

These symptoms can take 6-12 Hours to Show up.

If your doggo has ingested a large amount of chocolate, he can show some Advanced signs like the cardiac failure, weakness, and coma.

Chocolate can become toxic for any dog, make sure that you don’t give any chocolate or cocoa-containing food to your doggo.

Small puppies and young dogs will put anything in their mouth, keep your chocolates out of their reach.

 

How much chocolate can a dog eat?

You might feel like sharing your food with your doggo out of pure Love. However, we will suggest Not to Share your Chocolate, not even a tiny bit. Your Small mistake can prove Fatal for your Fido.

Please be cautious as there is NO antidote to Chocolate Toxicity.

 

Which Types of Chocolates are Most Toxic for Dogs?

All types of Chocolates are Toxic to Dogs.

Cocoa, Baking chocolate and dark chocolate contain the highest levels of caffeine and theobromine, while milk chocolate and white chocolate have the lowest.

Less than 25 Grams of dark chocolate may be enough to poison a 20 Kg dog.

 

What to do if your dog eats chocolate?

A small amount of chocolate may only give your dog an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea. It also depends on what type of chocolate your dog has eaten.

Typically, your dog will vomit on its own. if not, it is very important to make him vomit. Your vet may recommend Hydrogen peroxide, 1 Tablespoon for every 20 pounds, this will make your dog vomit.

The ingredients can stay in the body for a long time. In severe cases, it may take up to 72 hours for the body to detoxify itself.

Symptoms start appearing after 6-12 hours, so, if you have seen your dog eating a chocolate or if you have given him some chocolate or chocolate product by mistake, act quickly. 

 

Remember, even a small amount of Chocolate can Make your Dog Sick. 

Share With Your Friends Hoomaan!

Facebook Comments

Continue Reading
Advertisement
You may also like...

We Love Dogs as much as You do!

More in Dog Health

Advertisement

JOIN THE PACK

Subscribe to Our Mailing List and Receive Insider Tips, Special Offers & More!

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

What Others Are Reading!

Advertisement
To Top